Tag Archive: copper enameling


Futzing around looking for beads to add to my paper beads to make earrings…

Its a scavenger hunt through my collage/mixed media collections because I don’t want to have to purchase beads. As you see I have matched size as best as I could. There is definitely a knack to making the paper beads a consistent size and shape. The paper to make the beads is the same size but sometimes it gets lopsided when rolling on the coffee stirrer.

Thankful that my 4 week mixed media class, 4 week watercolor pencil class and a 6 week drawing class is running…   Thank you for signing up.

My mandala class was cancelled for next Saturday but …. I have signed up for a Broken China jewelry class at the Estate Store on Columbia downtown. “Make a fabulous pair of earrings or a pendant out of broken china! $20 for earrings side option of adding $7 for matching pendant. All supplies included, you are more than welcome to bring a china pattern of your choosing. March 19th 11am – 1:30”

Although Pinterest has lots of how-to and images of micro macrame jewelry, I did find an inexpensive how-to book at Jo-Ann Fabric the other day and I had some coupons. I never go into Jo-Ann or Michael’s without coupons because their mark up is often double a normal price. Many coupon driven stores keep their prices high so they can offer all those coupons which make a product a normal price….

I also stumbled upon alcohol ink that was marked down so I bought that as I was just reading about applying alcohol ink to metal as in copper/brass pendants. That might be easier than trying to enamel on the back side of the etched pendants. Some articles recommended that that the alcohol ink be sealed with a sealant… another adventure.

I also have a plethora of shells that I plan to drill and add a few beads to make recycled pendants. I ordered some finished necklaces [ribbon, faux leather, etc.] to hang them on as well as making my own copper clasps and use my rolled leather or ratail ribbon….

I have 6 weeks until Spring Arts Walk and I plan to have some paper bead earrings, etched pendants, macrame bracelets/necklaces as well as blank journals and those collage boxes on display at the Estate Store in Olympia.

Need to get cracking back to arting!
e

Advertisements

Worked all afternoon on jewelry projects…
First I cleaned copper pieces… these were for etching although I did clean the finished pieces for enameling. This Penny Brite really cleans copper quickly.

Scalex prevents oxidation when enameling. It flakes off after firing along with the fire scale. These were the pieces I etched last week.

Nice thick coat of Scalex

OK it was so thick I had to get the hair dryer out… note to self: make a note of the etched designs next time. When I brought them out to apply enamel I couldn’t tell/remember what the designs were. the hair dryer was handy because – hot air = drying quickly.

While the first batch of etched pieces were drying, I stamped with StazOn permanent ink designs on the clean copper. Note – I bought Sharpie permanent marker…

attached to duct tape…

then to the plastic foam. This time I etched them for 2.5 hours. I wanted a deeper bite.

while the new batch was being etched, I gathered my enamel supplies…

Applied Klyre fire which helps the enamel stick to the copper and then dusted the enamel on with the sifter.

on the rack – ready to fire in the kiln. I used bits of glass to decorate the light dusting of the ground glass/enamel.

I did apply enamel to all the pieces. After 2.5 hours, I came in to rinse the new etched pieces of copper. Very pleased with the deeper bite.

I just applied scalex to the back of the newly etched pieces. Its fairly cold in the studio but I want to have them all ready to enamel at once so I’m not wasting electricity from running the kiln. I’m hoping that the enamel will adhere well. Usually enameled pieces are enameled on both sides.

Time for a heavier coat for me … I want to fire these pieces tonight….

 

interesting results from the enameling.. very disastrous even though I sifted a very light coat of enamel on the pieces. Kiln temperature might have been off; I super cleaned the pieces to wash any grease off the copper; the liquid to help adhere the enamel should have been OK. I wonder if the “Studio” was too cold and the pieces cooled too quickly after being removed from the kiln which might have made the enamel popped off.

Almost every piece blew big pieces to tiny pieces…
Oh well…. I’ll just clean them up and try again.

never give up just shift your direction to keep creating…
e