Tag Archive: etching on copper


Continuing adventures – second time etching this batch. Basically I think the rubber stamp lines are too fine for a strong deep etching. I left these in at least 4 hours in a fresh batch for ferric chloride. One of the stars has a hole for the jump ring that was too close to the edge… remind me to drill the holes after etching! It destroyed the fine piece that made the hole edge. I’ll just saw/round off all the corners.

today I stopped in to pick up the handouts for AARP tax prep at the Olympia Senior Center and also visited the Senior Boutique. SCORE! I was bemoaning the fact that I had given away many of my rubber stamps awhile ago. Remember Murphy’s Law about discarding stuff and needing it soon after… Look what I found!   Also – Ask the Universe and be thankful….


and

Most were .25, .50 or $1.00… The designs have much wider lines so they will translate better as far as applying the StazOn permanent ink…
Can’t wait to try these out on more of my copper shapes and I will remember not to drill the holes until after etching.

Off to teach the last Mixed Media class…

Advertisements

Worked all afternoon on jewelry projects…
First I cleaned copper pieces… these were for etching although I did clean the finished pieces for enameling. This Penny Brite really cleans copper quickly.

Scalex prevents oxidation when enameling. It flakes off after firing along with the fire scale. These were the pieces I etched last week.

Nice thick coat of Scalex

OK it was so thick I had to get the hair dryer out… note to self: make a note of the etched designs next time. When I brought them out to apply enamel I couldn’t tell/remember what the designs were. the hair dryer was handy because – hot air = drying quickly.

While the first batch of etched pieces were drying, I stamped with StazOn permanent ink designs on the clean copper. Note – I bought Sharpie permanent marker…

attached to duct tape…

then to the plastic foam. This time I etched them for 2.5 hours. I wanted a deeper bite.

while the new batch was being etched, I gathered my enamel supplies…

Applied Klyre fire which helps the enamel stick to the copper and then dusted the enamel on with the sifter.

on the rack – ready to fire in the kiln. I used bits of glass to decorate the light dusting of the ground glass/enamel.

I did apply enamel to all the pieces. After 2.5 hours, I came in to rinse the new etched pieces of copper. Very pleased with the deeper bite.

I just applied scalex to the back of the newly etched pieces. Its fairly cold in the studio but I want to have them all ready to enamel at once so I’m not wasting electricity from running the kiln. I’m hoping that the enamel will adhere well. Usually enameled pieces are enameled on both sides.

Time for a heavier coat for me … I want to fire these pieces tonight….

 

interesting results from the enameling.. very disastrous even though I sifted a very light coat of enamel on the pieces. Kiln temperature might have been off; I super cleaned the pieces to wash any grease off the copper; the liquid to help adhere the enamel should have been OK. I wonder if the “Studio” was too cold and the pieces cooled too quickly after being removed from the kiln which might have made the enamel popped off.

Almost every piece blew big pieces to tiny pieces…
Oh well…. I’ll just clean them up and try again.

never give up just shift your direction to keep creating…
e